(a) General. The holder of a certificate with an expiration date may not, after that date, exercise the privileges of that certificate.
(b) Student pilot certificate.
(1) For student pilots who have not reached their 40th birthday, the student pilot certificate does not expire until 60 calendar months after the month of the date of examination shown on the medical certificate.
- You can request a replacement certificate online. This method requires that you register with Online Services.
- Or you can mail us:
- an Application for Replacement of Lost, Destroyed, or Paper Airman Certificate (PDF) form
- or a signed, written request stating your:
- date and place of birth
- social security number and/or certificate number
- the reason you need a replacement
Federal Aviation Administration
Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0082
- Allow 4 to 6 weeks for mail processing and 7 to 10 days for online processing
- We can only issue one copy of each certificate
- We can't place the original date of issue on a replacement certificate
- We can't issue expired certificates. However, you can request an expired CFI letter at no charge.
- If your current address is listed as a Post Office Box (P.O. Box), General Delivery, Rural Route, or Star Route, please provide directions or a map for locating your residence.